Thursday, December 6, 2007

Fiche and chips.

So, in all of my years working at the library in college and researching for/working with various historical institutions in the past, I have used many a microfilm machine. Twisting through page after page of old newspapers, focusing and re-focusing, cursing the people who photographed the paper so beautifully, save for the one page with MY article on it that somehow wouldn't focus for anything.

Anyhow!

Microfilm was really the extent of my minature-photographed-documents-viewed-on-a-gigantic-machine experience. Today, in my very own library, I loaded and viewed microfiche. Now, let me tell you something--I dislike this stuff even more than microfilm. I can see where people think it's helpful, having tons of pages on one small, flat piece of... fiche... but... no. The pictures are SOOOO tiny, that even the slightest nudge sends you 103 pages away from where you wanted to be. If you sneeze, it's all over.

Do not want.

No comments: