Tuesday, November 13, 2007

New job, new experiences.

Well, I know that this will be the first of MANY new things that will be associated with my new part-time job.

As many of you know, I have been interested in funereal history and funeral homes for quite a while. Well, a couple weeks ago I interviewed for a part-time job at a local funeral home and started tonight. The job is going to involve a very wide range of activities, from working at funerals and visitations to vacuuming floors to getting death certificates signed.

So I worked a 4-hour shift tonight and that alone was new - I worked at a funeral home.

Second new thing? I went into a selection room--the room where they have all the display caskets and urns and other memorial items. Very interesting--almost like a museum.

Third new thing? I saw a dead body not in a casket. A family came in and I'm not sure of the situation, but I guess they needed to see the body before it was embalmed and put in a casket, and I happened to be getting a tour of the back hallway when they wheeled the body through. I thought it was covered at first, but the head wasn't. It wasn't scary or creepy or gross, just odd. Mainly because I wasn't expecting it--had I been better prepared, it probably wouldn't have surprised me as much.

Anyway, I could go on and on and make most everything in those 4 hours a new thing, because it was! But there are many more new experiences to have, starting tomorrow when I get to work my first funeral service!

So, talk about a mind-opening, stepping way outside of my comfort zone thing to do--but I think this will be good for me! So we'll see what happens.

No comments: