Monday, November 26, 2007

The WVU Un-Marching Band?

Today was a very bizarre day in that it was absolutely NOTHING like I had planned or expected it to be, except that it did involve about 6 hours of driving!

My sister had planned a visit to West Virginia University to see the campus, visit some friends, and go to a marching band performance. My parents were supposed to take her, and I was supposed to head back to VA, but they ended up needing to go be with my grandparents instead. So I did some quick thinking and schedule rearranging and offered to take her so she wouldn't miss out on her plans.

So I guess the first new thing was that I drove to Morgantown, West Virginia. Then I went to the campus of West Virginia University.

But the biggest new thing for me was that I attended a marching band performance... INDOORS. My sister's high school does this crazy thing, and I'd never heard of it before--a marching band performance in an auditorium? WTFBBQ? Now, I marched in high school and have attended countless marching band performances--both college and high school--and have never heard of performances inside. It sounded like a deafening alternative to an enjoyable experience!

Well, it kind of was (deafening), but it was also enjoyable. Their drum line was excellent, and so were their twirlers. I say "twirlers" because one of them was a boy and he was actually outstanding! Anyway, it was a cool experience to hear a 300-piece marching band playing inside (though I would have also liked to hear them on the field to have a comparison).

And that was my crazy, unplanned day. :)

No comments: